Melbourne Hearing 2
Diversity in aged care
Melbourne Hearing 2 inquired into diversity in aged care, including culturally and linguistically diverse people, LGBTI groups, Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people, care leavers, veterans, and the homeless or those at risk of homelessness.
Date: 7 – 11 October 2019
Location: Ceremonial Court room, Level 3, County Court, 250 William Street, Melbourne VIC 3000
Time: 10:00am local time
The hearing commenced at 10am (AEST) on Monday, 7 November 2019. It can be viewed through the Royal Commission's YouTube channel.
At this public hearing, the Royal Commission inquired into diversity in aged care, with a focus on:
- people with culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) backgrounds
- people who identify as being lesbian gay bisexual transgender intersex (LGBTI)
- care leavers, being people who spent time in care as a child, including institutional and out of home care arrangements
- Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people (with a particular focus on people living in urban areas)
- people who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless
The Royal Commission explored how an aged care system can be designed to meet the needs of all people, including those from diverse backgrounds.
- The Melbourne Hearing 2 closed on Friday 11 October 2019.
- Applications for leave to appear at the public hearing closed 5pm (ACST) on Friday 27 September 2019.
- Copies of exhibit documents relating to this hearing are available on this page.
- Transcripts and a Witness list are available for all days of the hearing.
Content Warning: Please be aware that images and descriptions contained within exhibits tendered at hearings of the Royal Commission and public submissions published on this website could be confronting to some.
To see a full list of all exhibits tendered to the Royal Commission please visit the Document Library.
The Royal Commission will publish its reports and other papers as they become available. A range of research papers, background papers and related publications are also available.