Perspectives on the aged care system as it presently exists
The Royal Commission held a public hearing in Adelaide from Monday 11 February to Wednesday 13 February and from Monday 18 February to Friday 22 February 2019. The public hearing inquired into:
- the concerns of advocacy bodies relating to the current state of the aged care system
- the clinical issues affecting elderly people and general challenges that arise in meeting clinical needs
- the concerns and view of medical and nursing professional bodies relating to the current state of the aged care system
- demographic information relating to the provision of aged care services
- the perspectives of government and regulators as to the state of the aged care system
- the perspectives of workforce representative bodies as to the state of the aged care system
- experiences of people receiving services in the aged care system or their family members.
The Royal Commission has approached the representative bodies from whom it seeks evidence for this public hearing.
The matters to be considered at this public hearing
- The key features of the aged care quality, safety and complaints system at the level of the Federal government, including how that system was operated, monitored and regulated prior to 1 January 2019 and how it is expected that the system will be operated, monitored and regulated following the establishment of the Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission.
- The changing demographics of the Australian population and the implications this has for the aged care system.
- The nature and meaning of 'quality' and 'safety' within the Australian aged care system, as those concepts are understood from a variety of national perspectives.
- Key issues affecting the functioning of the Australian aged care system identified from the perspectives of the representative bodies referred to above, and from the experience of people receiving or seeking aged care services.
- Any other related matters.
Leave to appear
- Applications for leave to appear at the public hearing closed at 5pm on Tuesday 5 February 2019.
Adelaide Hearing 1 round closed on Friday 22 February 2019.
If you are having difficulty viewing any of the documents on this page, or require an accessible format, please email ACRCenquiries@royalcommission.gov.au.
If you are unable to communicate via email please phone the Royal Commission on 1800 960 711 to make alternative arrangements.