Skip to main content

About the Royal Commission in Plain English

  • Fact sheet
Publication date

This information has been written by the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety. When you see the words ‘we’ or ‘us’, it means the Royal Commission.

The Australian Government asked us to look at how older people are cared for and work out what needs to change to make aged care services better. When we have finished, we will write a report that will say what should be done to make aged care services better for people who need them now and in the future.

We want people to tell us what they think about aged care services, including what works well and why things go wrong. We are asking:

  • How can we make sure that aged care homes and services provide good and safe care?
  • What can be done so there are enough good quality aged care homes and services in the community for all the people who need them?
  • Are there enough good quality services in remote, rural and regional Australia?
  • What are the best ways to help and care for people living with dementia?
  • What are the best ways to help and care for younger people with disabilities who are living in aged care homes?

Tell us what you think

We would like you to tell us your story or what you know about aged care. Tell us what would make things better. You can do this by:

""  calling 1800 960 711 between 8 am and 8 pm (Australian Eastern Standard Time, Monday to Friday except on Public Holidays)

""  writing to us at GPO Box 1151, Adelaide SA 5001

""  using the online form on our website

""  emailing

We can get an interpreter for you and we can get your writing translated.

If you have a problem with an aged care service that needs to be fixed right now

We cannot fix a problem you have about the care an older person is getting right now. We cannot make an aged care service provider change what it is doing right now or pay anyone money (compensation).

The Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission may be able to help. It takes complaints about aged care service providers (businesses or agencies), if those providers also get money from the Australian Government.

If you want to make a complaint about the aged care services a person is getting right now, you can contact the Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission on 1800 951 822 or look on their website.